The DHDC Education Program provides a variety of unique, curriculum-based learning experiences for you and your students both at the Discovery Center and on your campus. Our programs are designed to function as an extension of the classroom and engage students in meaningful, experiential learning opportunities. Every program in our education line-up is aligned to the most current edition of the TEKS and most have pre- and post-visit support activities to help teachers reinforce students’ new knowledge!
TEKS Correlations Charts and Educator’s Guides for programs are available on the individual program pages listed on the left.
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
DHDC Education Programs are available exclusively for public school districts, private schools, home school groups and 4 year old state certified preschools (i.e. Opportunity School, etc.)
Mother’s Day Out programs, churches, daycares and all community organization groups should contact the DHDC Reservations Department at 806-355-9547 x107 or firstname.lastname@example.org for group rate information and reservations.
A minimum of 10 students is required to receive school group rates. The minimum student count is waived for student groups with special needs and for any district participating in our Education Partner Program.
Every student and chaperone in the school group party will be charged current school admission rates, regardless of whether or not group members hold a personal DHDC Membership. School group admission rates can be found below.
All education programs and events require advance reservations.
Please see the Reservations page for details.
EDUCATION PROGRAM OPTIONS
PROGRAMS AT THE DISCOVERY CENTER
Choose any combination of activities below to create your own unique DHDC adventure!
Reservations for field trips must be received a minimum of 3 weeks in advance of your requested visit date.
Click on the links above for options and details, or click here for reservation information.
DHDC hosts seven specially-themed education events each school year.
- ChemiCon Grades 6-8 October 27, 2017
- Egg Drop Engineering Competition Grades 5-12 November 10, 2017
- DHDC Christmas Spectacular Grades K-5 December 12, 13 or 14, 2017
- NEW! Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day Grades 9-12 February 22, 2018
- Weathering the Storm: Grades K-5 March 9, 2018
The Science of Severe Weather
- Celebrate Earth Day Grades K-5 April 20, 2018
- DHDC Catapult Challenge Grades 5-12 May 18, 2018
Reservation deadlines vary for Education Events. For event details or reservations, please click here.
PROGRAMS ON YOUR CAMPUS
ON-CAMPUS SCIENCE LIVE! SHOWS
- Spectacular, hour-long “edu-tainment” shows presented on your campus.
- Most shows can be performed for groups ranging in size from a single class to the entire campus.
- Full-day programs available for special events or to accommodate multiple classes.
- Reservations must be received a minimum of 4 weeks in advance of your requested performance date.
- Click here for program options, pricing, and reservations.
Our Distance Learning program provides LIVE, INTERACTIVE streaming of DHDC programs directly to the classroom with no expensive equipment required!
Reservations must be received a minimum of 4 weeks in advance of your requested show date. Click here for program options and reservation information.
Can’t make it DHDC for one of our fun-filled science labs? Then let us come to you!
- All materials and supplies for labs are provided by DHDC (excluding water and electricity if needed.)
- DHDC instructors teach entire lab from start to finish
Reservations must be received a minimum of 4 weeks in advance of your requested lab date.
Click here for program options and reservations.
DISCOVERY LOAN KITS
Discovery Loan Kits feature classroom sets of high-end, hands-on materials and manipulatives which provide in-depth coverage of the concept addressed. Teachers may check out loan kits to use as a resource for classroom instruction.
- Kits are available for a three-week loan period.
- A credit card number is required at time of reservation as a deposit.
- Teachers are responsible for returning Loan Kits to DHDC on or before the due date.
Reservations must be received a minimum of 2 weeks in advance of your requested delivery date.
Click here for Loan Kit options and reservations.